About Us

Garden Road Baptist Church began as Minnetex Baptist Mission on February 4, 1954 and was located at the Houston Skeet Club in Houston, TX. The church was originally started by members of the Heights Baptist Church in Texas City. On September 23, 1956 the church became Minnetex Baptist Church with 115 charter members and moved to their new facility on Cullen Boulevard under the leadership of Pastor T. J. Vaughn.


In 1974, the building and property were sold to Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church and the church relocated to Pearland. Meetings were held at Brookside Elementary until construction of the new building located on Garden Road was completed in February 1975 under the direction of Pastor Clyde H. Thompson. Rev. Thompson served as pastor from 1967 - 1992.

During the 1990s, Rev. Byron Faulk and Rev. Ron Lynn served as pastors. In 1996, the church entered into covenant agreement with Pastor Trinidad Beltran and Primera Mision Bautista de Pearland to sponsor a new Spanish mission on the property. The Spanish congregation continued to grow and moved to their own facility in 2007.


In January 2001, Pastor Don Pope became the senior pastor of the church coming from Grundy Baptist Church in Grundy, Virginia and continues to serve until the present day. He and his wife Judith love the state of Texas having previously served in a church in San Antonio and attending seminary in Fort Worth.   Brother Don retired from Preaching in Dec. 2019 and remains as a member of the congregation.


In September 2008, Hurricane Ike destroyed the main church building as well as many buildings along the Texas Gulf Coast. The church now has a new building and a new sanctuary, completed in December 2012.

We are a member of the Southern Baptist Convention and the Baptist General Convention of Texas.



In March of 2020, Brother Robert Clark joined us as Interim Pastor.   He has agreed to shepherd our flock until we choose our next full time Pastor.